Aspiration is seeking a full-time Finance and Fiscal Services Manager to provide leadership in all aspects of financial operations, accounting, and fiscal services delivery. The position will report to the Executive Director.
The position is located in the San Francisco Bay Area, but we are happy to consider qualified remote applicants based in the US time zones.
We are seeking a highly motivated and organized manager who embraces new challenges, works hard yet considers “fun” a core workplace value, and embraces Aspiration's mission of providing technology and data leadership capacity to nonprofits and activists working for social, racial and environmental justice.
This role is an opportunity for a motivated candidate to help Aspiration more broadly deliver on our vision by putting in place improved infrastructure and automation of our financial and fiscal service systems and services. Pending successful expansion, this role has the potential to grow into a Director position. If you bring an entrepreneurial spirit to the work you do, and are excited to help more technology and data projects make a positive difference in the world, we encourage you to apply for this position.
As a US 501(c)3 Nonprofit Organization, Aspiration manages not only our core organizational finances, but also provides fiscal sponsorship to technology and data projects that align with our charitable purpose. Expansion and automation of our fiscal services and back-office operations is a core part of our growth and impact strategy, in order to enable us to sponsor and incubate additional projects and scale our mission.
The Aspiration Finance and Fiscal Services Manager will lead and drive finance and fiscal sponsorship operations at the organization. Duties include:
- Supervising and optimizing all aspects of financial management and financial controls at Aspiration, including accounting, banking, accounts payable and receivable, records management, and associated reporting, all in coordination with our external accounting firm;
- Administering and supporting all of Aspiration’s fiscally sponsored projects in their financial operations, including payroll, contracting, invoicing, grants administration and reporting;
- Coordinating the annual budgeting cycle, drafting and managing Aspiration’s core budget while working in collaboration with fiscally sponsored projects to generate and implement per-project budgets;
- Driving all contracting and invoicing activities, with a focus on increased automation and general process improvements;
- Supervising financial management and financial reporting for grants and other monies sourced from philanthropic funders;
- Improving financial controls and better documenting finance and fiscal service practices;
- Assuring that Aspiration staff payroll and benefits accounts are properly administrated in a consistent and timely manner;
- Managing the annual IRS Form 990 filing and external audit processes in collaboration with our accounting, tax, and auditing service providers, as well as the Aspiration Board Audit Committee;
- Tracking and administrating annual federal and state legal filings related to maintain incorporation and nonprofit tax-exempt status;
- Reporting to the Aspiration Board at meetings and via email on finances, tax filings, audits and budgeting;
- Other duties as discussed and assigned.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess at least 5 years of nonprofit financial and accounting experience
- Hold strong working knowledge of fiscal sponsorship and have experience managing or supporting fiscal sponsorship relationships
- Demonstrate passion for delivering high quality, on-time mission-critical information to partners and clients
- Convey strong interpersonal communications skills and passion for providing excellent customer service
- Have experience working with QuickBooks Online or other cloud accounting software
- Have working knowledge of other relevant business-related cloud platforms, as well as office productivity tools including spreadsheet, presentation and word processing tools
- Demonstrate ability to consistently self-manage and work with minimal supervision
- Possess flexibility and willingness to re-prioritize tasks due to changing circumstances
The following qualifications are desirable, but not required:
- Experience negotiating business agreements, including intellectual property terms
- Experience working with foreign currencies and managing currency-related risk
- Experience with open source platforms, such as LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Linux
This position is for an exempt full-time employee, 40 hours per week, at $70,000-80,000 per year depending on experience. Full-time employees are eligible for benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, paid time off, and ten paid holidays after completing a 90-day probationary period. Employees who complete at least one year and 1,000 hours of service are eligible to participate in the Aspiration 401(k) retirement plan, including an employer match of employee contributions up to 4% of the employee's salary.
Aspiration is an equal opportunity employer. All employment and promotion decisions are made without regard to race; color; sex; religion; age; national origin or ancestry; marital status; disability or handicap; mental disability or medical condition (including cancer, HIV/AIDS, and genetic characteristics); pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; veteran status; parental status; citizenship status; genetic predisposition or carrier status; status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, or sex offenses; personal appearance (including height and weight); sexual orientation; gender identity, expression, or appearance; or any other basis prohibited by U.S., state, or local law. People of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other historically disadvantaged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
To be considered for this position, you must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis, without sponsorship.
Please send a detailed résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your letter, please address the following:
- What draws you to working at Aspiration?
- What specifically draws you to the position?
- What relevant skills do you have that align with our requirements? Please be specific about your experience managing or supporting fiscal sponsorship agreements.
- Why do you think you would excel in this position?
Aspiration's mission is to connect nonprofit organizations, foundations and activists with software solutions and technology skills that help them better carry out their missions. We want those working for social justice to be able to find and use the best software available, so that they maximize their effectiveness and impact and, in turn, change the world.
For more information about Aspiration, see www.aspirationtech.org
Questions about this position? Please email email@example.com.