Aspiration is seeking a full-time Finance Operations Lead to provide leadership in all aspects of financial operations, including accounting, banking, contracting, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, tax filings, audit support, grants administration, and donation tracking. The position will report to the Finance and Fiscal Services Manager.
The position is located in the San Francisco Bay Area, but we are happy to consider qualified remote applicants based in the US time zones.
We are seeking a highly motivated and organized person who embraces new challenges, works hard yet considers “fun” a core workplace value, and embraces Aspiration's mission of providing technology and data leadership capacity to nonprofits and activists working for social, racial and environmental justice.
A US 501(c)3 Nonprofit Organization, Aspiration provides fiscal sponsorship to technology, data and digital rights projects that align with our charitable purpose. Expansion and enhancement of our financial operations are a core part of our growth and impact strategy, in order to enable us to sponsor and incubate additional projects and scale our mission.
This role is an opportunity for a motivated candidate to help Aspiration more broadly deliver on our mission and vision by improving and optimizing our financial and fiscal service operations and service delivery. If you bring a a passionate, entrepreneurial spirit to the work you do, and are excited to help more technology and data projects make a positive difference in the world, we encourage you to apply for this position.
The Aspiration Finance Operations Lead will lead finance and fiscal sponsorship operations at the organization. Duties include:
- Providing day-to-day oversight of financial operations at Aspiration, including accounting, banking, contracting, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, tax filings, audit support, grants administration, and donation tracking, all in coordination with our external accounting, tax, and auditing firms;
- Administering and supporting all of Aspiration’s fiscally sponsored projects in their financial operations, including payroll, contracting, invoicing, grants administration and reporting;
- Driving all facets of accounting, including coding, reconciliation, and book review processes, with a focus on improving overall data quality and execution;
- Managing banking processes, including opening and closing of accounts, administration of authorized users, executing deposits and wire transfers, and liaising with accountants on tracking and monthly statements;
- Supporting contracting cycles for Aspiration and fiscally sponsored projects by drafting contracts, facilitating review and approvals, moving to signature, and tracking to close-out.
- Managing accounts payable and receivable, assuring timely execution of all bill-paying and invoicing activities, with a focus on continued process improvements;
- Administrating staff payroll in a consistent and timely manner, managing and submitting twice-monthly payroll instructions, and working with accounting and payroll providers to process and distribute annual 1099s and W-2s;
- Supporting ongoing and annual tax filing activities, including collecting and administrating employee, vendor and partner tax documentation, as well as the annual IRS Form 990 filing;
- Supporting external audit processes in collaboration with our accounting, tax, and auditing service providers, in coordination with the Aspiration Board Audit Committee;
- Administrating grants and other monies sourced from philanthropic funders, ensuring grant agreement documentation is on file, tracking requirements and ensuring timely reporting, and working with our accountants to set up grants and philanthropic funders in Quickbooks;
- Managing, tracking and acknowledging charitable donations for individual, in-kind, and corporate donors;
- Supporting the annual budgeting cycle, providing required inputs for drafting Aspiration’s core budget as well as budgets for fiscally sponsored projects;
- Other duties as discussed and assigned.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess at least 5 years of nonprofit financial and accounting experience
- Demonstrate passion for delivering high quality, on-time mission-critical information to partners and clients
- Convey strong interpersonal communications skills and passion for providing excellent customer service
- Possess working knowledge of fiscal sponsorship and have experience supporting fiscal sponsorship relationships
- Have experience working with QuickBooks Online, Bill.com, Expensify and other cloud accounting software platforms
- Have working knowledge of other relevant business-related cloud platforms, as well as office productivity tools including spreadsheet, presentation and word processing tools
- Demonstrate ability to consistently self-manage and work with minimal supervision
- Possess flexibility and willingness to re-prioritize tasks due to changing circumstances
The following qualifications are desirable, but not required:
- Experience negotiating contracts and business agreements
- Experience working with foreign currencies and managing currency-related risk
- Experience with open source platforms, such as LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Linux
This position is for an exempt full-time employee, 40 hours per week, at $68,000-76,000 per year depending on experience. Full-time employees are eligible for benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, paid time off, and ten paid holidays after completing a 90-day probationary period. Employees who complete at least one year and 1,000 hours of service are eligible to participate in the Aspiration 401(k) retirement plan, including an employer match of employee contributions up to 4% of the employee's salary.
Aspiration is an equal opportunity employer. All employment and promotion decisions are made without regard to race; color; sex; religion; age; national origin or ancestry; marital status; disability or handicap; mental disability or medical condition (including cancer, HIV/AIDS, and genetic characteristics); pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; veteran status; parental status; citizenship status; genetic predisposition or carrier status; status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking, or sex offenses; personal appearance (including height and weight); sexual orientation; gender identity, expression, or appearance; or any other basis prohibited by U.S., state, or local law. People of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other historically disadvantaged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
To be considered for this position, you must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis, without sponsorship.
Please send a detailed résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
In your letter, please address the following:
- What draws you to working at Aspiration?
- What specifically draws you to the position?
- What relevant skills do you have that align with our requirements? Please be specific about your experience managing or supporting fiscal sponsorship agreements.
- Why do you think you would excel in this position?
Aspiration's mission is to connect nonprofit organizations, foundations and activists with software solutions and technology skills that help them better carry out their missions. We want those working for social justice to be able to find and use the best software available, so that they maximize their effectiveness and impact and, in turn, change the world.
For more information about Aspiration, see www.aspirationtech.org
Questions about this position? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.